Bernice Brooks Kasbaum Scholarship

The Bernice Brooks Kasbaum Scholarship provides financial aid to underrepresented groups in an attempt to recruit and improve retention of these diverse students in Computer Science.

History: Mary Patterson established four endowments, including the Bernice Brooks Kasbaum Scholarship, for the purpose of recruiting and retaining students in the College of Engineering. Mary is quoted as saying “I want to do everything I can to encourage young people, because they are our future. I tell everyone that the one thing they can’t take away from you is your education.” Mary Patterson named this scholarship after her grandmother, Bernice Brooks Kasbaum. Patterson said “She was always encouraging us to stimulate our intellect. She was definitely an influence on me.”

Eligibility: Students must be a prospective female student in good standing in accordance with current institutional policies, must declare Computer Science as their intended major, and must have a minimum ACT Math score of 23. Preference is given to NCWIT Aspiration Award winners.