Gallery of My Work

My work has changed a lot over the years, as is evident in a few samples arranged below in chronological order. My serious involvement in ceramics began at Humboldt State University in the late 60s and early 70s, where I learned the basics of throwing, glazing, and firing.  In the mid-70s I became a studio potter, operating Railroad Stoneware in Blue Lake, CA, making functional stoneware and porcelain.  In 1985 my wife Linda, son Morgan, and I moved to Massachusetts, where Linda and I attended graduate school at UMass-Amherst.  I was determined to make the most of the opportunity, and rather than continue what I already knew, I switched to handbuilding and developed slab-built sculptural work featuring intricate inlaid colored clay imagery.  That direction evolved over the next fifteen years, but in my sixth year at Tennessee Tech University’s Appalachian Center for Craft, the new millennium inspired a return to functional vessels.

My work is divided into five primary sections covered on different pages.  Click on the buttons above, or on Current and Recent Work, Colored Clay Vessels, Early Colored Clay Work, Slipware, or Railroad Stoneware.  Scroll down on each page to see an explanation of materials, technique, and firing process.  Please email me if you have questions about any of the work.

Below is a brief chronological tour of my work from 1983 to 2015.  Click on thumbnails to see a larger image.